1561272834105278
Loading...

Trophy Strife‏

Depending on how much I like a game, I usually enjoy collecting trophies/achievements for it. Recently, I’ve had this craving to get as many trophies as possible, so I guess you can call me a trophy hunter. Take Far Cry 4 for example: it was relatively easy to get a platinum. The trophy system for Far Cry 4 was well done because it makes you dip your toes in every aspect of the game without being too hard or too easy to collect trophies. It’s a nice touch because it didn’t force me to complete the game at 100% to get the platinum.


Then there are games like The Last of Us. Great game, easily one of my favorite games of all-time. But holy crap, what a horrible trophy system. I beat the game and my trophy percentage is 1%. One percent?! Are you kidding me?!? This makes no sense at all to me, seeing how past Naughty Dog games weren’t so stingy on the trophies. Maybe it was an attempt to keep me focused on the game and not the trophies, but I would have loved to receive more than 1% of the trophies for completing the game. Doing this gives me no benefit or desire to continue playing the game for the sake of trophies. What a tease.

Some games are just handing out trophies left and right, which isn’t as annoying but equally as lame as the trophy system in The Last of Us. For example, The Walking Dead season 1, or any game from Telltale Games. I got a platinum trophy in The Walking Dead season 1 with a little over 1 playthrough, and the extra time needed was only for 1 more trophy. How about The Wolf Among Us? It’s a little better because I had to replay a few scenes in different ways, but it was really easy to get a platinum in that game. I can’t blame them for it, because the game is more story than game. Besides, getting yet another platinum right after Far Cry 4 made me feel good.


Then you got all your indie titles, most of which (if not all) don’t have platinum trophies. I think this is plain stupid, because it’s putting monetary value ahead of the game itself. So because the game is $15-$20, there’s no platinum, but any game on a physical disc (usually priced higher) grants you the option to obtain a platinum trophy. I don’t get it. You beat the game and get every trophy, so why not get a platinum for your efforts?



I will admit, it’s nice to get a platinum, regardless of the game’s difficulty. I know, it’s just for bragging rights, but for me it’s something that makes me want to put more time into games. Point is: it’s all about awarding trophies in an appropriate manner. Not too hard, not too easy. I want to feel like I’ve earned my trophy wife.
Trophies 667449480501852856

Post a Comment Default Comments

emo-but-icon

Home item

ADS

Popular Posts

Random Posts