1561272834105278
Loading...

My Positive Initial Impressions Of Infamous: Second Son


I must say, it’s been harder than I expected tearing myself away from Dragon Age: Inquisition. I’d almost certainly have no qualms about recommending it to almost any sentient being, let alone those who actually enjoy fantasy RPGs. My enthusiasm for the game is perhaps so immense, that my traditionally contrarian nature has given way to genuine happiness seeing all the Game Of The Year awards that DA: I has managed to accrue on the internet.

At any rate, I figured it was about time to pull myself out of my DA: I drunken stupor and appreciate other video games. And while I haven’t abandoned DA: I, I have put time aside in my busy DA-dominated week for Infamous: Second Son, another PS4 game which I was eager to try out.


Brandon did a good job providing a review of Infamous: Second Son and Adam did an impressive job dissecting its trophies. Accordingly, I’ve decided to present an initial impressions blog of my time with Infamous: SS. My intention is to contrast these early positive and negative feelings about the game with a later impression piece at some point in the future. This week, I’ll be covering what I liked in my early goings with the game.


What I liked: The game reminds me of Sly Cooper

Having played the previous two Infamous titles, I must say that the most immediate strength that Infamous: SS brings to the table is that in many ways, it feels like a successful sequel. Delsin Rowe, the game’s main character, is infinitely more likable than Cole MacGrath was. He’s charismatic, and his story is impactful. In many ways, that was the same feeling I had when I played Infamous 2: that I was playing a sequel that tried its very hardest to address the concerns of its predecessor, while improving on what it did right.

One of the main criticisms I share with the infinitesimally negative hole which most simply call the collective apathetic internet is that DA: I is overburdened by side content that no one wants to complete. In many ways, Infamous: SS is its polar opposite: it’s lean, story-driven and not overly filled with side quests. Consequently, Infamous: SS feels focused, even more so than previous Infamous games, which felt to me as though Insomniac simply didn’t know how to populate its open-worlds with anything interesting in them.


All of this is to say that the game feels more like Sly Cooper (and more specifically, like the excellent Sly Cooper 2) than Infamous, of all things…Which I take to be a good thing. Honestly, it’s amazing how the smaller scope of Infamous: SS has done such justice to game.  My play sessions are always lively now, and the series’ punchy combat remains at the forefront. All of this equates with a game which I feel is genuinely fun to play, even if there still isn’t a satisfying melee system in place.
Story 4296706112450306652

Post a Comment Default Comments

emo-but-icon

Home item

ADS

Popular Posts

Random Posts