1561272834105278
Loading...

Dragon Age Inquisition: A Quick Impression


I picked up Dragon Age Inquisition earlier this week but before I get to it, I really want to bring you up to speed with my involvement with the series so far. Full disclosure: I didn't like Dragon Age: Origins very much. Maybe I'm just not that into turn-based strategy games masquerading as action games, maybe I put the game on hard when I shouldn't have and got royally butt hurt by a boss or two. Take your pick. I played for about 12 or so hours and then just put it down. I never tried the second game, but aside from people bashing it for being an open world RPG that only took place in a single city, I heard the combat was more enjoyable than the first—which sounds like a big plus to me.

As far as Bioware goes, their first games don't seem to do it for me. I have a great deal of distain for the first Mass Effect, but I absolutely loved, and I mean LOVED the second one. And again, I have yet to play the third Mass Effect. In comes Dragon Age Inquisition and I've been hearing some pretty amazing complements, so before I let the hype train overwhelm me—did I mention this was purely an impulse buy yet?—let's see how this goes!

And So It Starts

Race selection makes a return (I heard it was removed in the second) and normally I would go with a Human character but I decided to go with a Dwarf this time around. I did so because the Dwarves have a 25% bonus to magic damage and if memory serves, magic does a dumb amount of damage in the DA universe. I also chose a brutish warrior class that uses a two handed weapon.

Character creation in general was the usual affair, although the feature is limited to facial customization only—you cannot adjust the body. The only real disappointment I found was that there were only two voices to choose from. Now I get why this is: I mean, Bioware pumps so much dialogue into these games, having to record the same thing multiple times because of different voices for the same character is pretty shitty. At the same time only having 2 voices is pretty shit too. One was a chippy British sort of voice, while the other was a pretty regular sounding lower toned one. I chose the guy who sounded like his balls dropped. I'm curious though, if I had picked a Human character, would the voices be the same too?

My guy's head vs. Varric's, the other Dwarf in my party 
The graphics are pretty good, but you can tell that they were held back a bit because they developed Dragon Age for the older consoles as well. The only thing I will say though is that the faces do look pretty amazing. The funny thing about that though is you can really tell the difference between a procedurally generated face i.e.: my characters mug vs. one of the other main characters' faces. The visual fidelity is just missing in the custom face, which sucks, but it's to be expected.

The intro sequence is pretty straight forward. There is this massive explosion that opens up some sort of rift in the sky, and ends up killing a bunch of people. Since you're the only one around that survived, and also happen to have a similar rift looking thing pulsating off your hand, you're automatically suspect number one. After a quick tour with the sentry on duty, she begins to believe you are not to blame, and since that "thing" on your hand can close the rifts, you are a means to an end in resolving this whole ordeal. So you're quickly recruited into their ranks and off you go.

The draw-distance isn't too shabby either
Immediately following this, I'm quickly reminded of the Elder Scrolls series. Those rifts allow demons to come through into your world and that just reminds me of Oblivion, and once I reached the town of Haven I spent a good 30-60 minutes just running around stealing from peoples' pots and chests. Why people leave such things lying around is anyone's guess, but hey, works for me.

At this point in time I'm only about 2 1/2 hours in.

Fast Forward

5 hours in, I'm completely overwhelmed with side quests...just have a gander at my map so far. Keep in mind that this is the first area and I have yet to even explore the entire thing.


Not that this is a bad thing, but the more I play the more I feel like I'm slowly completing nothing haha. I'll keep you all posted with further developments. Stay tuned!
Role-Player 2431060488678516569

Post a Comment Default Comments

  1. Given that you don't have previous experience immersing yourself in the DA series' lore, I was curious to hear your thoughts about what you've seen so far in DA: I. More specifically, does it come across as generic or engaging to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story is engaging enough, but the problem with games like these is that there is just so much going on and so much to do that you sort of lose touch with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree entirely. I find that playing The Witcher 2, which is replete with only a handful of sidequests usually, is draining enough to keep track of the main plot. And W2 is a smaller game in terms of content. I can only imagine something more akin to Elder Scrolls and how quickly you would stop caring.

    ReplyDelete

emo-but-icon

Home item

ADS

Popular Posts

Random Posts