1561272834105278
Loading...

Hunting For Classics


When I used to work at a local Microplay here in Montreal—Microplay being something similar to a Gamestop, but also with video game rentals—I used to pick up every single used classic game I could get my hands on. Picking up games like Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger, in the box no less, was awesome. Along with buying gems from Microplay, I did play around a bit on eBay, but as many games as I bought and added to my collection, there was still a few to this day that I would love to have a look for again.

Alundra
The first Alundra for the PS1 is supposed to be fantastic. Like many games of the generation it was 2D-sprite based, and it was suppose to play and feel sort of like a Zelda game/ Secret of Mana. The reason I even ever heard about this game is because I had picked up Alundra 2 for the PS1 as a kid way before I ever started collecting games. Alundra 2 is actually not that great if memory serves. They changed the graphics from 2D to 3D, removed any semblance of an RPG from it and turned the game into this sort of sub-par, level-to-level action-adventure game. I remember having fun with it as a kid, but considering how much praise the original gets, I'm a little sad the second one just isn't quite as good. In any case, I would still be interesting in adding this game to my collection.


Valkyrie Profile
This is the game that got away. When I was a kid, Videotron (which is like a French Blockbuster in Quebec) used to sell their old PS1 games they used to rent. I got games like Front Mission 3, and Suikoden 2 like this. One day, there was Valkyrie profile for sale, but I was a broke kid and it was $45. Having no knowledge of its actual worth at the time ($200+), I just couldn't justify the price...I know, stupid kid! Anyway, with the fact that you can now buy this game on the PSN for like 10 bucks, I'm sure the price of the original disc has come down pretty hard and I would still love to have this game in my collection.


Brigandine
Last up is this incredibly obscure strategy game called Brigandine. To be honest I have absolutely no idea what this game is about and I remember Sean and I coming about this game on eBay when we were searching for titles. I'm pretty sure Brigandine is a turn-based strategy game, and with both of us having a strong fondness for games like Final Fantasy Tactics at the time, I tried pretty hard to purchase this game. Of course I was constantly beaten out by other online shoppers. At one point I forgot about it and just dropped the game. As I said, I have no clue what to expect from Brigandine, and it's one of those games I would still consider buying while never looking it up just for the fun of it. One day; one day.



This list represents games which I’ve attempted to buy and have since failed. They are my white whales so to speak. That said, I have cooled off quite a bit when it comes to collecting old games. I still buy quite a few new ones of course, but who knows, maybe I'll get the eBay itch again one day and continue to add. Do you have a game that forever eludes you?
Ps1 3010627937615063321

Post a Comment Default Comments

emo-but-icon

Home item

ADS

Popular Posts

Random Posts