1561272834105278
Loading...

My Beginnings As A Gamer - Part 1‏


I was probably 7 or 8 when I got my first console: a Sega Genesis. I think I was even given the choice of either the Super Nintendo or the Sega Genesis, but that blue hedgehog reeled me in and I had my mind set on a Genesis. Unfortunately, I ended up getting 3 games through its lifespan, and none of them were Sonic games. I plan on talking about each one in the next few weeks.
 
The first game I ever got came packaged with my Genesis. It was supposed to be Sonic 2, but Toys R Us ran out of the bundle. I think my dad haggled for a game, I don’t remember, but he didn’t know what he actually got me. In fact, I try and block this game from my mind, but it usually comes back to haunt me. While cleaning up my room, I found this amazing gem:



Yup, I was 7 years old, playing NFL Football ’94 Starring Joe Montana. No disrespect to the sport, but I had no interest or knowledge of football, and I blame this game for feigning any interest in it now. I hated it, but it was my only game for 90% of my time with the Genesis as a kid. If you look carefully at the cartridge, you’ll even see I drew a smiley face on Joe Montana; this was because I got no happiness out of this game.
 
Ok, I lie: the intro song to the game is quite catchy, and possibly my favorite memory:


Besides that intro, I barely understood how to play. I remember seeing a lot of formations, which made no sense to me as a kid. They confused the crap out of me because all I saw were lines and circles, and then all of a sudden I was allowed to play again.


When it came to actually playing the game, of course I sucked. The only time I would get/score a touchdown would be if I was lucky enough to run from my end zone to the opponent’s. Again, I didn’t understand anything about the video game or the actual sport, so I would either fumble or get tackled incessantly.


My favorite team was the Miami Dolphins. Because come on, dolphins are cool.
Sports 7263786715352376286

Post a Comment Default Comments

emo-but-icon

Home item

ADS

Popular Posts

Random Posts