1561272834105278
Loading...

Just Copy Steam Already

While I don’t think physical copies of games are going to disappear any time soon, you can certainly assume what the fate of physical media in the long run will be. We saw it with CDs, movie rentals took a plunge since Blockbuster no longer exists, and we already see that PC gamers are embracing this change. Don’t quote me on it, but I remember reading that 80-85% of PC games are bought digitally. Microsoft and Sony: take notice and act accordingly.


I won’t talk for many of the others on the blog or at the podcast, but I can say that Adam and I are very anti-digital when it comes to console gaming. It’s weird because we too embrace buying digital on PC, but would go out of our way to get a physical copy for console. We are a clear minority, so I assume that regular consumers will ditch physical if the price is right (cue music).


Steam sales are crazy, and there’s nothing like that on console. You will never get amazing deals on big-name, non-indie titles. Or so I thought…kinda.

Being a PlayStation Plus member grants you free games, but also provides you with some pretty great discounts. Here’s a few I personally want:

  • Alice: Madness Returns $6.29
  • Battlefield 3 $4.89
  • Dead Space 1 and 2 $4.89 each
  • Mass Effect Trilogy $13.99
  • SSX $5.24

I think these are great deals, but since this is on the PS3, it feels a bit “too little, too late”. Yes, the console will still live on for a few years, but if consoles can take this idea a step further, Microsoft and Sony could actually compete with Steam/PC.


What I’d like to see moving forward, are deals similar to the ones I’ve mentioned, but on the new consoles. Just take all the launch titles and price them at $10 online. Also, try and tempt non-Xbox Live Gold/PlayStation Plus members with some great deals too. When Battlefield of Duty 2014: Advanced Hardline is being sold for $60 in-store, charge $5 less online. Consumers are technically saving publishers' money in terms of manufacturing the product, so why not pass the buck?

Tl;dr Microsoft and Sony should just copy Steam already.

Online 613314828372443128

Post a Comment Default Comments

emo-but-icon

Home item

ADS

Popular Posts

Random Posts